Monday, June 20, 2011

Weights vs. Cardio

As a fitness instructor, I am most commonly asked, "Should I do weights or cardio?" Oftentimes, my response is to do both! Physicians commonly tell women that weights will strengthen their bone density but also fear that they will "bulk" up. 

For almost 7 years I've been teaching Les Mills Body Pump.  It is a group fitness class using a barbell which is intended to improve strength and endurance. The workout consists of 10 tracks. Each track is designated to a specific muscle group. It definitely improves overall fitness levels, increases strength and tones muscles. Moreover, it leaves you feeling with a sense of confidence!

One unique difference between weights and cardio is the fact that the caloric burn continues throughout the day after a weight training session. Cardio is definitely a necessary component of a fitness regimen, however it's important to incorporate interval training along with cross training to ensure you don't overuse a particular muscle group.

I found an article in Women's Health which addresses this very question- Weights or Cardio? I read this magazine monthly and I was pleased when I saw this article and so I wanted to share it with you:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/cardio-vs-strength-training-workouts

1 comment:

  1. Did you post this in honor of me??? :) hehehe Go Body Pump!

    ReplyDelete