Thursday, July 7, 2011

Healthy Kids

I have discovered a wonderful website which I wanted to share with all- actionforhealthykids.org.

I recently signed up for their newsletter because I'm concerned about the nutrition and exercise our nation's children. In their most recent newsletter, I found one article in particular shocking and helpful. Check out: Raising a Healthier Generation-

http://www.actionforhealthykids.org/assets/pdfs/childrens-health-and.pdf

I was reading the article, The state of children's health by Dr. Reginald Washington, and he states in his first paragraph that childhood obesity has tripled in the past three decades. This statement clearly reflects how things have changed and why it's crucial for adults to be role-models for our children.

As a former teacher, I strongly support physical education classes. Unfortunately the budget cuts have resulted in more class time and less "moving" time. We tend to blame ADHD for the root of the "fidgety" student, but it's important for us to consider the amount of physical activity that students currently receive on a daily basis. Now that summer is here, get them outdoors and moving! It doesn't need to be an organized activity however that might be a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment