Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Super foods...


Constitutes a food that is high in vitamins, minerals and has high concentrations of essential nutrients with proven health benefits.

Kale is a super food, which is a leafy green vegetable that is high in beta-carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin, and calcium.  It’s best to eat raw, steam, stir-fry, or microwave.  Reason being, if you boil will reduce the nutrients. The benefits of this super food include anti-cancer properties. Kale also contains a source of indole-3-carbinol, which is a chemical that boosts DNA repair in cells and may block the growth of cancer cells.

How do you prepare kale? I found a recipe on the foodnetwork.com by Bobby Flay, that looks simple and tasty. I’m going to give it a try tomorrow and thought I’d share:

It’s called “Sautéed Kale” by Bobby Flay

1      ½ pounds of young kale, stems and leaves coarsely chopped
2      3 tablespoons of olive oil
3      2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
4      ½ cup of vegetable stock or water
5      Salt and Pepper
6      2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar

Directions:
Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until soft, but not colored. Raise to high, add the stock and kale and toss to combine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring until all the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add vinegar.

2 comments:

  1. Teresa - this sounds really delicious! I haven't tried kale, because I don't know how to prepare it...nor have I even tried it. I LOVE fresh sauteed veggies, so I am going to try this for certain! Thanks for sharing!

    Thanks for visiting my site too!

    Happy Holidays!

    -pamela :)
    FreeVintageDigiStamps.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed it! I've been trying it with a variety of options. It's so wonderful! Enjoy and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete